There is convincing evidence that regular physical activity protects against colon cancer and probable evidence that it protects against postmenopausal breast cancer and endometrial cancer. The more physically active you are the better (excluding extreme levels of activity).
How much physical activity do you need?
Being active, like healthy eating, needs some thought each day and is a lifetime activity. Every bit of extra effort adds up to make a real difference to your health and wellbeing, and it is often fun, too. You do not have to join a gym to be more active. Choose activities you enjoy, and those that fit into your routine.For good general health, do at least 30 minutes of moderate activity daily (such as walking or cycling) on most days. To reduce your cancer risk, do one hour of moderate activity or 30 minutes of vigorous activity (such as jogging or cycling) daily.
- If you are inactive, any increase in activity is beneficial.
- Be active every day in as many ways as you can.
Tips for being active
- Take the stairs rather than the lift.
- Get off the bus one or more stops earlier and walk.
- Go for a stroll at lunchtime.
- Park further away from your destination and walk.
- Have some active fun such as bike cycling, ball games or join a sporting team.
- Walk with a friend or join a walking group.
- Take a dancing class.
- Join a gym.