SunSmart Sporting Events
Many popular sports experience their highest participation rates between September and April, and May and August, when the UV reaches damaging levels in Tasmania. During these months, sun protection is required when the UV reaches 3 and above.
In Tasmania from April to September, when UV is below 3, sun protection generally isn’t required when exercising or playing sport. In fact this is a good time to go without sun protection to get a safe level of UV exposure to help with vitamin D levels, unless you are near highly reflective surfaces like snow or spending extended periods outdoors (e.g. training for or competing in endurance events).
Useful tools for your event
Add the SunSmart Widget to your website
Tips for being a SunSmart Sporting Club
Sun protection policy
Have a policy? Send it in, we will happily help review and update your current policy.
Need a policy? We can help you develop and implement a sun protection policy to suit your needs.
Find out more here about sun protective clothing
A good UV policy should:
- Promote the use of SPF 30+ or higher broad spectrum, water resistant sunscreen. If possible, consider having a supply on site.
- Run information sessions for club members and coaches about skin cancer and sun protection.
- Promote and use the SunSmart UV Alert by adding the widget onto the club’s website or ordering an outdoor facilities SunSmart sign.
- Schedule training times, competitions and outdoor events outside the daily sun protection times when possible.
- Promote sun protection during the course of the event or game.
- Plan and provide shade and encourage players and spectators to take advantage of shade.
- Encourage players and spectators to come with sunscreen, clothing, shade, hats and sunglasses.
- Encourage club ‘sports stars’, coaches and club officials to be sun protection role models.
Does your club provide adequate shade? Shade is an important component of sun protection and crucial to a complete sun protection strategy. Shade can be portable or permanent, year round or seasonal. To find out of you have enough shade take the Shade Audit.